Happy National Dog Day! National Dog Day (also known as National Dog Appreciation Day and International Dog Day) arrives each year on August 26th and is a chance to reiterate to the public how many shelter dogs are in need of a home. The day also serves to acknowledge and appreciate the dogs we already have that selflessly save our lives, keep us safe, and bring love and companionship into our homes every day.
The day was created in 2004 by Celebrity Pet and Family Lifestyle Expert, Animal Behaviorist, and Author Colleen Paige after she adopted her dog, Sailor. Sailor, who was only seven months old, was being starved and tortured in a shelter. Paige wants this day to “encourage dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure – to help abolish puppy mills and end breed specific legislation so we can create a world where all dogs (and every animal) can live a happy, safe and ”abuse-free life.”
Even if you don’t have a dog you are encouraged to celebrate the day. Even donating as little as $5 to your local rescue group can be a great help. National Dog Day lists 20 more ways to celebrate. Some of our favorites include:
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter by walking or playing with the dogs, cleaning cages, and assisting with anything else they may need help with.
3. Donate blankets, food, and toys to a rescue or welfare organization.
4. Write your local Congressman and ask that he or she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
5. Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
6. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
This is a great day for everyone as there are suggestions for both the passive celebrator and the most festive one. We encourage you to become as involved as you can in educating those around you and helping animals in need. To read more about the day and find more information you can visit http://www.nationaldogday.com.