On May 15, 2013 The York County Sheriff’s Office K-9 Division introduced Dargo, a new service dog. Dargo’s handler is Lt. David Godfrey. We are incredibly grateful to Lt. Godfrey and we’ve interviewed him so that we all can learn more about him and the amazing things that he does in our community
• Where are you originally from?
– Jefferson, Pa
• How long have you been in the area?
– All of my life, except for when I was North Carolina for 9 years during my time in the Marine Corps and North Carolina Department of Corrections.
• How long have you been at The York County Sheriff’s Office?
– 12 Years
• Where did you/do you go to school?
– Spring Grove School District
• Describe your role in K-9 Division?
– I am the Lieutenant of the two dog unit and partner to the newest K9, Dargo
• Where did the Division get Dargo the Service Dog?
– Von Der Haus Gill German Shepherds Wapakoneta, Ohio
• At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
– I have always had pets. Since I have been married we have always had dogs. We currently have three with the addition of Dargo
• List your personal pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
– A cat named Butterball, Bunnies named Cannonball and Mixey, Dogs Blackie, Cora, Sable, Lilly, Wilbur, Beans, and Dargo.
• What kind of food do you feed your pets?
– Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20
• What is your favorite movie?
– The Rundown
• What kind of music do you like?
– Classic Rock
• What was the last book that you read?
– Frozen in Time
• What is your favorite TV show?
• Where was your last vacation?
– Hampstead, NC
• What is your favorite restaurant?
– Moonlight Café, Dover
• Describe your perfect sandwich:
– Philly Cheesesteak
• If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
– Any of the wounded soldiers that have come back from the war in the Middle East. I have the utmost respect for all of our military who have served.
• Which is your favorite sport’s team?
– Pittsburg Steelers…Is there anyone else?
• Is there any other information that you think might be interesting:
– I am a 1year survivor of cancer. I was diagnosed in 2011 with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, and underwent Chemotherapy and Radiation treatments. I joined the LLS / LTN Board, and was named this year’s Light the Night Walk Hero for York
We will be following Dargo’s journey and post updates on his progress through his training and his affects in the community.